“Mentor”- originating from the Greek: 'experienced and trusted advisor'
The Mentor Programme is designed to enable the Kildare County Enterprise Board to provide individuals/companies with temporary advisors to help identify and overcome obstacles in their development stages.
The panel of advisors is made up of mature, experienced people, all of whom have volunteered their considerable expertise to the scheme.
The Mentor's role is:
- To listen - To advise and counsel
- To help identify problems and areas for improvement, and
- To suggest solutions and assist in drawing up an action plan
He or she contributes independent, informed observations to aid a company in its decision making process.
Areas of involvement
- General Management
- Financial Structuring
- Production Planning
- Corporate Organisation
- Strategic Planning
The Mentor will:
- Outline guidelines to follow
- Point out strengths and weaknesses in proposed projects
- Act as a confidential sounding board
However, the mentor is not a professional consultant and, under the terms of the programme, may not become actively involved in the day to day management or assume the role of executive in the company.
How the programme works
- Each request for a mentor is dealt with individually.
- Careful consideration is given to 'match' the requirements of the individual/company and the specialised skill and expertise of the prospective advisor.
- Several possible mentors will be suggested and the final selection made by the individual/company on the basis of information supplied by the individual/director and an assessment by the Board's Staff.
- The mentor and the company may meet up to 10 times per twelve-month period.
- Either the individual/company or the mentor may terminate the arrangement at any time.
- If assistance is needed in more than one field of expertise, one or more additional mentors may be assigned to the individual/company.
- The appointment of a Mentor is subject to the approval of the Directors of Kildare County Enterprise Board.
How to join the Mentor Programme
An individual/company, whose company/business falls within the remit of the County Enterprise Board, which feels itself in need of temporary, totally confidential advice may request the assignment of a 'Mentor'. Mentors may be assigned to either start-up or existing business situations.
To apply, please download the application form and return it to this office.